Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Digital Copyright

When it comes to music, I am a communist. I raised in the early 80's, and I had a small tape recorder that I used to record everything I liked, making mash up mix tapes from the radio, TV, and my nintendo. One example is the opening song for Miami Vice, which I loved.

Also, I am a musician. I create and record music all the time. I am going into a local studio next month to record with my band D Street. We sell out music at shows, in stores, and online.

However, if somebody wants our music, I would make a bootleg copy for them without hesitation. In addition, I listen to all my music from the computer, and I share with my friends as much as possible. I do feel that music has value, but more in performance. Recorded music should be as close to free as possible, which is the opposite of the intention of record companies.

I found the ALA Copyright FAQ for libraries very helpful. Personally, I don't agree with them, but it is important to know the law and how it applies to our work.

No comments: